The research programme aims at answering the following overarching research questions:
- How can IP policies at all levels of the innovation lifecycle take account of the fact that IP is a complex adaptive system?
- How can intellectual property foster innovation in the different innovation-intensive industries?
- How can knowledge developed in the laboratory be translated into commercially viable products?
- How can institutions (courts and offices) contribute to the fostering of social welfare through IP?
Four work packages address the relationships of IP as a complex adaptive system:
- Workpackage 1: “Intellectual Property as a Complex Adaptive System”;
- Workpackage 2: “Governance of Production and Technologies”;
- Workpackage 3: “Adjudication, Justice and Enforcement”; and
- Workpackage 4: “Allocation of Rights, Actors and Institutions”.